The College is recognized by Department of AYUSH, Government of Karnataka and is a constituent unit of KLE University [Declared as Deemed-to-be-University u/s 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 vide Government of India Notification No.F.9-19/2000-U.3 (A)][Accredited “A” Grade by NAAC and Placed Under Category “A” by MHRD GoI]. Courses offered by the institute are all recognized by Central Council of Indian Medicine , New Delhi.
Admired by the way when his wife was diagnosed and treated by an Ayurveda physician, when all other medical systems failed, Late Shri.Basappanna Mallappanna Kankanawadi, a retired Police Officer and a Philanthropist, in 1933 established this institute by donating all his retirement earnings of Rs.50,000/- with the intention and vision to revive, propagate and develop AYURVEDA, the indigenous mother medical system of world.
- 1933: Philanthropic act and donation of life’s saving of Rs.50,000 paved way to Karnataka Ayurveda Vidyapeeth Society’s Shri B.M Kankanawadi Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya at KLE Societys Lingraj College, Belagavi.
- 1938: Considering the futuristic clinical importance, college was shifted to its own building at Khasbhag, Shahapur with attached hospital.
- 1964: Work radiance and ground requirement lead to shifting of College to existing primordial building which was inaugurated by the then Chief Minister of Karnataka Late Shri S. Nijalingappa.
- 1990: KLE Society took over the institute leading to the multifaceted developments.
- 2005: Khasbag Hospital which served from 1938, neighbored the college with multi-specialty Out Patient Departments, highly equipped Operation Theaters, Diagnostic wing and IPD of 280 beds.
- 2008: New Ambient Hospital was inaugurated by the then Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Dr. Rajshekhar Reddy. New Post Graduation courses were granted and a new PG Block was sanctioned.
- 2010: Research was strengthened by addition of Animal House which was inaugurated by Hon. Governor of Tripura Dr. D Y Patil.
- 2012: Manthan PG Block was inaugurated by then Honorable Union Health Minister Shri. Ghulam Nabi Azad.
- 2015: Existing Hospital was extended to first floor to meet demanding needs with HARIDRA (Deluxe and VVIP rooms) was inaugurated by AYUSH Minister Shri. Shripad Yesso Naik.
- 2016: University was Reaccreditated with NAAC ‘A’ Grade and Hospital was Accredited with NABH, which made it First and the only AYUSH Institution having NAAC & NABH Accreditation.
To develop service mindedness
- Creating a sense of pride to the profession that he/she is wedded to
- To propagate and profess Ayurveda as the best system of medicine globally
- To create awareness that Ayurveda is the hassle free system of health care
- To encourage innovation and promote research activities
- To adopt and experiment a new mode that brings in revolutionary change in Ayurveda
- To find a cure for the incurable in the tradition of Ayurveda
- To explore the magical formulations of folklore medicine.